Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Rhetorical Analysis of Media Artifacts...Part 2!

**



While thinking of what media artifact to analyze around Belgium, I couldn't help but think of all the metro advertisements I see everywhere here. There are several different kinds of advertisements to ride the Brussels metro, therefore saving gas of your own and helping the environment. These ad's also catch my eye because I'm a marketing major, so I love to see how marketing is similar/different in Belgium compared to the US. I have not been able to walk around Brussels for an entire day without seeing some form of a STIB/MIVB advertisement posted on the streets or inside the metro. I always knew it was promoting the metro line, but I had no idea what exactly it stood for. I’ve now found out that the letters represent French and Flemish language. STIB is French standing for ‘Société des Transports Intercommunaux Bruxellois’ and MIVB is Flemish meaning ‘Maatschappij voor Intercommmunaal Vervoer te Brussels’.




I believe the marketers of STIB/MIVB do an incredible job of promotion by having catchy, yet different types of advertisements posted everywhere. I also believe it is an advertisement very worth while, by promoting to ride the metro instead of drive your own car and waste unnecessary gas. By riding the metro you are helping save the environment! I honestly think the US would really benefit by having more local public transportation, and not almost requiring everyone to own their own vehicle to get from Point A to Point B. At least Clemson has the CAT Bus service!

No comments:

Post a Comment